[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4694: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
8devices Community - View topic - My project idea: Garage door opener
www.8devices.com
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:33

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 My project idea: Garage door opener 

31 May 2012, 16:00

Yes, Sears already includes this feature in their garage door opener, but I apparently not a hit. The reason it's not selling is that you have to subscribe to a service and not many people want to pay monthly fees to be able to open their garage with the phone. The remote works just fine.

Which leads me to the following question: why would you want to run an internet service to open a garage door? I know, you can open the garage door from any where in the world, but how many times do you have the need to open the garage door while you're on vacation?

OK, so you're not at home, and you just have a feeling that you might have left the garage door opened. You can check and close it with your phone. I can see the value in this, which is exactly what Sears is trying to sell. But if this is the case, then you don't need a real time status and action, so you can just have the carambola reports to the server in a certain interval, which is a better solution than a dedicated TCP connection.

31 May 2012, 22:22

Don't forget that he's going to attach a camera as well. And I think he could do more with this project than just open and close the garage door from around the world.
His service could implement a time schedule where the garage door will be closed automatically and any attempt to open it would result in an alarm.
Since he can include the camera he might be able to implement a license plate recognition, so that the approach of an authorized car will open the garage door automatically.
With a little creativity this could well become the technologically most advanced garage door opener out there :)
He'll just have to find something his potential customers are missing in their traditional garage door openers.

01 Jun 2012, 07:32

You guys are awsome!
I already have this working but not with the carambola.
I can see the garage from inside, open close the doors and switch the light on/off.
You gave me more ideas to work on...
I'll post my progress on the carambola "garage controller".

01 Jun 2012, 13:48

Lets do a license plate recognition on our new board based on RK2918 chip!
It has onboard much more power for that.First revision pcb will be available next month.

RK2918 is a low power, high performance processor solution for mobile phones, personal mobile internet device and other digital multimedia applications, and integrates an ARM Cortex-A8 with one NEON coprocessor.
Many embedded powerful hardware accelerators provide optimized hardware performance for high-end application. RK29xx supports almost full-format video decoder by 1080p@30fps such as H264,H263,RMVB,MPEG2,
MPEG4,VC1,AVS,VP8 etc. Also supports H.264 encoder by 1080p@30fps , high-quality JPEG encoder/decoder and special image preprocessor and postprocessor .
Embedded 2D/3D hardware engine makes RK29xx completely compatible with OpenGL ES2.0,OpenGL ES1.1 and OpenVG graphics standards.Even support high-quality 3D video replay.
RK29xx has high-performance external memory interface(DDRII/LPDDR) capable of sustaining demanding memory bandwidths, also provides a complete set of peripheral interface to support very flexible applications as follows :
 2 banks, 8bits/16bits Nor Flash/SRAM interface
 8 banks, 8bits/16bits async Nand Flash,LBA Nand Flash,8bits sync ONFI Nand Flash, all embedded 24bits HW ECC
 2 ranks, 2GB Memory space, 16bits/32bits DDRII-800,LPDDR-400
 8bits HS-MMC/SD , 4bits SDIO , 8bits eMMC interface
 24bits high-performance, 3-layers TFT LCD Controller with post-processor, 1920x1080 maximum display size
 eBook display interface with 2048x2048 maximum resolution
 8bits sensor/CCIR656 interface and 10bits/12bits Raw data interface
 2ch I2S interface, 8ch I2S interface, PCM/SPDIF interface
 USB OTG 2.0/USB Host2.0/ USB Host 1.0
 RMII/MII interface
 High-speed ADC interface, TS stream interface
 8bits/16bits async modem interface
 4x I2C, 4xUART with hardware flow-control , 2x SPI , PWM

01 Jun 2012, 15:02

Sounds awesome!
How much will this new board cost? Since the processor is meant for mobile phone application can we expect this new board to be as small as the carambola?

01 Jun 2012, 15:32

06 Aug 2012, 13:29

09 Aug 2012, 06:27

You don't have to use any direct plugins to support a language inside a webserver. There's always CGI and CGI is not limited to any language.
With CGI as long as the underlying system supports the execution of your code it will run. Interestingly this means you can easily use shell scripts or C/C++ programms in your application.

So whatever webserver you're going to install on your Carambola you probably won't have trouble getting your LUA scripts to run.

09 Aug 2012, 07:44

09 Aug 2012, 08:32
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next