[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4694: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
8devices Community - View topic - USB errors. Reason - WiFi?
www.8devices.com
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:30

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 USB errors. Reason - WiFi? 

Mh... okay, we're probably gonna try that next week.

But I still wonder if that is an issue of a new hardware revision or whatever?

There seem to be working projects on your forum and across the internet (like the 'tank drone'), so I'm a bit confused what's the matter.

26 Oct 2012, 12:36

Using the external antenna didn't change much.
But it could all be my setup.
When I built the prototype of the tank dron I used a relatively big prototyping board. All the components have big distances, there's enough space for a USB HUB and it has massive ground planes (I use aluminum tape to cover the top side of those prototyping boards with one big ground plane for shielding).
With this small WiFi car I'm building I don't have that kind of space. Although the hardware setup is almost the same (less sensors and just one small motor instead of two big ones). I built the tank drone in a week, imagine my frustration that it's taken me months (and I'm still not done) for the small WiFi car.
But as I said, I've got a much smaller space on that car (about 15cm x 5cm) compared to the tank (40cm x 15cm), so I'm not sure if what I'm trying to do is impossible with the hardware at hand.

26 Oct 2012, 15:55

@DominikS: it depends a lot on the hardware, cables, proximity. With my webcam alone: never worked. Adding a prolongator (80 cm) with webcam far from the Carambola: works. Same but webcam near the Carambola: erratic.
The "antenna to ground" solution seems to be a good idea, I will test it soon.

27 Oct 2012, 14:07

Hi,

thanks for comming up with that nice, fast and simple Fix.

Since 24h my carambola streams with two uvc webcams errorfree around 6 MBit

I used a 32mm wire plus what is need for soldering and can confirm that this works.

wespe

Attachments:
File comment: Wifi vs. USB Problem solved with additional ground plane wire 32mm
wifi-usb-fix.jpg
wifi-usb-fix.jpg [ 218.38 KiB | Viewed 20045 times ]
28 Oct 2012, 14:03

Another fix solution is to use newest firmware which is able to regulate wifi power:
http://pkg.8devices.com/?dir=v2.3/carambola/
Upgrade via bootloader.

Now you can change TxPower via config file:
etc/config/wireless
option txpower 10

default power will be 10dBm

30 Oct 2012, 15:22

I have 2 questions:
- should it be exactly 32 mm ? will 30 or 35 also work ?
- is a connection to GND () or to USB case () the same ?

Thanks in advance.

30 Oct 2012, 16:02

32mm is quarter-wavelength of wifi band.
30 or 35 should work too.Need to test.
This wire must be connected to ceramic antenna GND.

30 Oct 2012, 17:17

I had exactly the same problem with embeded antenna. Error and reset when a usb equipement is attached.

With ufl connector and external antenna this works fine.

I confirm the paper clip is the best electronic component.

Attachments:
paperclip.jpg
paperclip.jpg [ 99.88 KiB | Viewed 19983 times ]
31 Oct 2012, 16:18

06 Dec 2012, 10:33

06 Dec 2012, 12:04
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next