[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4694: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
8devices Community - View topic - Java Virtual Machine
www.8devices.com
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:17

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Java Virtual Machine 

Do someone have installed any Java Virtual Machine on the Carambola Device?? I have become an answer from my friends, that there is no opportunity to have java virtual machine on carambola, but i would like to have ask You, before i leave my work with carambola. Should i really leave Carambola and use other hardware, or is there opportunity? Im asking not of theory (cause all friends said that they will prepare me java virtual machine there, but no one of them have really made it, even when they were sure that whitout problems will it go - they have had some problems with memory as i think), but in the practice have made someone of You and does it really work? When Yes, please give me a tip how to make it work, cause i must give instruction to my friends, cause they say that i should change the hardware, that there is no option to install java vm, even with prebuild openwrt firmware. Is it true? I wont change the carambola hardware, i see there future , please help me, i dont know how to explain them how to install this java virtual machine. What should i say them, - give them a tip step by step or really change carambola, cause of not enough memory? Thank You for answer. Greetings

11 Dec 2012, 14:07

Of course you CAN do that, you CAN even set up a JVM on a 8bit-system.
See

for a list of JVMs.

BUT WHY should anyone (except of real masochists :lol:) be willing to do that?

Uhm... ok... just kiddin' ^^
But seriously - you don't have much RAM, you dont't have much flash, you don't have that much computing power and the JVM gives you even more additional overhead.

I'd really like to know why you "need" Java on a relatively small embedded system like the carambola?

11 Dec 2012, 14:12

I would like to start there my app - java udp server, which i wrote in java for a long time and which would be very usefull for my carambola now to expand communication possibilities. I dont have time to write this app in other carambola supported languages, so i need help to start java virtual server there. If there is a possibility i would like to buy many carambola's in future, but at the moment, im just at start with my device and probably i must to change a device which i will be using for my project. :( can anyone help me with this?

11 Dec 2012, 15:28

12 Dec 2012, 07:14

It might also help to know what kind of problems your friends ran into.
You say they had memory problems, but which memory are you talking about? RAM or ROM?
RAM problems can only be solved by cutting down the JVM so it needs less of it.
ROM problems are easy to solve, just add external storage through USB.

A UDP Server is like 2 lines of code in Python, so you might want to reconsider rewriting your Java App in Python.

12 Dec 2012, 09:05

As i said, this a server which i have been developed for a long time, that means that this is a very complicated server which has an implementatnion of a own complicated communication protocol. There is no discussion to write this in python i must do it in java, cause i will lose to much time to write this again in python, and i do not have so much time. What kind of problems i will become answer at the evening. At the moment my friends are still fighting with the carambola to run a virtual machine there with no result. I will try also check this way with native code if there is no other option to run a java virtual machine.

12 Dec 2012, 13:24

JVM (Java Virtual Machine) is an abstract machine. It is a specification that provides runtime environment in which java bytecode can be executed.

JVMs are available for many hardware and software platforms (i.e. JVM is platform dependent).

What is JVM
It is:

A specification where working of Java Virtual Machine is specified. But implementation provider is independent to choose the algorithm. Its implementation has been provided by Oracle and other companies.
An implementation Its implementation is known as JRE (Java Runtime Environment).
Runtime Instance Whenever you write java command on the command prompt to run the java class, an instance of JVM is created.
What it does
The JVM performs following operation:

Loads code
Verifies code
Executes code
Provides runtime environment
JVM provides definitions for the:

Memory area
Class file format
Register set
Garbage-collected heap
Fatal error reporting etc.