[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4694: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
8devices Community - View topic - Problem: connection settings
www.8devices.com
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:54

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Problem: connection settings 

18 Jan 2013, 15:14

18 Jan 2013, 15:56

Yes, first time with linux :ugeek: :lol: and have many to learn about

Sorry for annoying again, but dont know who I could ask else

I tried "sudo picocom ...."
and it shows me "Terminal ready". I didnot exit picocom, power up carambola and get a screen with cryptic signs

I thought its ok. Set up TFTP server(xined start/running) and tried login to upgrade firmware using sysupgrade.
I am waiting for welcome screen, but instead screen shows:

ssh: connect to host ..... port 22: connection timed out

I afraid of crashing my board and didnot perform upgrade procedure

What I am doing wrong? Please, need help. Thanks

18 Jan 2013, 17:45

Problem solved i think. Bootloader was enabled :roll: I have no Ethernet-cable to upgrade, so tomorrow i going to buy one and tried again

18 Jan 2013, 19:34

19 Jan 2013, 13:37

Seems like you're struggling too hard.

Cryptic outputs in serial console usually indicate wrong connection settings.
I've made a lot of rather "mixed" experiences when using a USB device in a virtual box environment - make sure that vbox is configured properly to provide the USB serial adapter to the guest os.
In /dev of the guest there should be an entry ttyUSB0.
Also check the command dmesg, it's output should also report about the adapter being found.

Also, I wouldn't bother changing the guests network settings - just use the default, which should duplicate the hosts config (IP, bridged mode).

Once you succeeded in connecting to your cara using the serial connection, have a look at what network settings were applied (using the commands ifconfig and iwconfig, the latter for WiFi and the first for wired connections).
In factory settings the cara would try to pick up a dhcp IP for wired connections (you'll have to configure wifi , have a look at the wiki pages about that).

And when you finally have a custom firmware to upload, use sysupgrade to do so.
I've used almost all ways to upload a custom firmware, including using the serial connection, TFTP, etc., but eventually ended up using two custom scripts, the one copying the firmware to /tmp in the cara fs using scp, the other flashing it using sysupgrade.

Out of all alternatives that seems to be the most convenient (and safe !) way to go.

21 Jan 2013, 00:08

26 Jan 2013, 19:06

Some wiki parts were written about older OpenWrt settings. Don't pay close attention to this.

26 Jan 2013, 21:56

S.O.S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started upgrade firmware using only UART, the other oppertunities not worked for me.

I type:
erase 0xbf050000 0xbf7fffff

-Erased 130 sectors

than: loadb

-## Ready for binary (kermit) download to 0x80100000 at 115200 bps...

After that nothing happen about 1 hour yet.

Whats going wrong? Please help, wont brick my new board

01 Feb 2013, 23:46

Hi guys, this is my last attempt to get help, otherwise i have to surrender

After fail to upgrade only with uart connection, my board starts and shows

- Please choose the operation:

1. Load ........ via TFTP
2. ......

4 3 2 1 0

Bad Magic Number, FFFFFFF

Does it mean the board is dead or is it possible to flash new?

- I tried to choose 2 and flash via TFTP. And goes to another problem.
Some posts before i explained an network connection problem, because of no ip.
First i thought it was an networkadapter error in virtualbox, i tried on an another pc - same error.
But internet connection over lan works fine, but after plug in carambola no ip have been assigned.

Maybe of Bad Magic Number-Error?

- OK, if my board is repairable and the network-problems couldnot cure, only oppertunity is only with uart.
This steps i done on my fail trial:

To erase the flash type command:
erase 0xbf050000 0xbf7fffff

To transfer binary image to RAM type command:
loadb

To copy uploaded firmware from RAM to FLASH type command:
cp.b 0x80100000 0xbf050000 0x600000

Now i attract attention that there is no binary path!?

- The other scenario is a dead board. OK, trial and error, shit happens and means to order a new board.
But than i am no wiser than i was before

08 Feb 2013, 09:39
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next