[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4694: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
8devices Community - View topic - Fails to connect to carambola2 dev board
www.8devices.com
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 16 May 2024, 09:24

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Fails to connect to carambola2 dev board 

Hi guys,

I am disappointed with the amount of documentation on connecting to carambola2.
I have just gotten two boards and both of them fail to be connected via FT232R USB UART.
Basically, the USB UART installs successfully on my PC as COM4.

I used kitty (a putty fork) to connect to carambola2. No use. Both boards fail.
I am not a noob in using openwrt boards. I used wr703n extensively...so I know how things work, for the most part.

http://8devices.com/wiki_carambola/doku ... connecting
Your page on connection is very barebone. It offers no connection information, such as IP address or how cables should be connected etc.
It seems the default IP for carambola2 is in the 192.168.0.x range. I changed my router to 192.168.0.1 and with DHCP enabled -- I dont see any connected device...

IN my opinion, the getting started page really needs a lot of work. There are a lot of openwrt information out there. A lot of problems we can find solutions elsewhere regarding openwrt. 8devices really need to focus on carambola2 specifics, such as how to connect to it and pinouts and et. Focus on what is different for carambola2 and leave references to things common to openwrt.

Attached is my kitty configuration.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments:
2.PNG
2.PNG [ 32.75 KiB | Viewed 1738 times ]
1.PNG
1.PNG [ 38.42 KiB | Viewed 1738 times ]
15 Jul 2014, 13:43

Hi pilypala,

Thank you for your feedback.

Serial part
Your serial configuration seems to be correct (it has to be 115200 baud, 8n1 no flow control). I would like you to do the following tests:
1) Power off Carambola2 board (unplug USB cable) and power it on again. Does the LED (D10) blink?
2) Open COM terminal (serial console) and press (hold for a half/one second and release) reset button button (S2). Does the LED blink? Is there any output on the serial console?

Ethernet part
The default Carambola2 configuration is as follows (I will refer to this picture http://8devices.com/media/gallery/text/ ... vboard.png):
1) The bottom Ethernet port is used to connect Carambola2 to your devices (e.g. PC, LAN switch). On this port Carambola2 has static IP address of 192.168.1.1. There is also a DHCP server for this port, so you should set your PC to automatically obtain IP address.
2) The top Ethernet port is used to connect Carambola2 to the Internet/WAN/etc. Carambola2 tries to automatically obtain address, so the network to which you are connecting should have DHCP service. The firewall configuration does not allow you to access Carambola2 over this port.
3) The ssh server on Carambola2 is disabled until you set root password. You can set root password using 'passwd' command over a) serial console b) telnet. Once you set the root password telnet becomes unavailable.
4) If serial methods failed, connect your PC to Carambola2 bottom port. Make sure that your computer Ethernet port is configured to automatically obtain IP address. Using Kitty (or any other terminal) connect to Carambola2 via telnet (IP 192.168.1.1 Port 23). What are the results?

Hope this helps. If not, please ask.

Giedrius

15 Jul 2014, 15:40

Ok Giedrius.
Thanks for the prompt reply. This works now, but only after pressing the S2 reset button.

Information like this should really be posted in
http://8devices.com/wiki_carambola/doku ... connecting

I am sure it will solve a lot of people's headaches.

Thanks again!

17 Jul 2014, 07:13
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]