[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4694: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
8devices Community - View topic - SPI Problems - MCP23S17 GPIO expander
www.8devices.com
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:09

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 SPI Problems - MCP23S17 GPIO expander 

12 Aug 2014, 04:44

I don't have any MCP23S17 chips to test and debug them, however it would be nice to see what data are you sending to the chip. You can also disconnect SO pin from carambola2, attach a pullup resistor to it and measure it then (preferably with a new MCP23S17 chip).

12 Aug 2014, 06:36

Thank you Giedrius for the quick reply.

I am also concerned about this post

If the SPI is 2.5V, and the MCP23S17 is powered off 3.3v, the "Input High" volatge is specified as 0.8 VDD (0.8 x 3.3v = 2.64v). Is it possible that the MCP23S17 is not listening to my commands because the Carambola 2 SPI voltage is too low?

I have tried sending all sorts of commands listed in many "spidev" example which are mainly written for the Raspberry Pi and can confirm them with the logic analyzer as being sent, but still no response..

This is also a nice reference but on a completely different platform

These examples didn't work for me, it makes sense to me that you have setup the device first. So now I'm just doing:

0x40 0x0A 0x18 // write IOCON with 0x18
0x41 0x0A // read IOCON back

I will try Giedrius's test of disconnecting the MCP23S17's SO pin and pulling it high and anaylze it there.

12 Aug 2014, 20:00

12 Aug 2014, 21:09

I have changed VDD to 2.7V on the MCP23S17 and pulled SO high and probed again. No luck still no data output from the MCP23S17. There are a lot of variables here so this may be a bust for me.

Giedrius, You are developing the caramiot-dist package. Can you speak to some of the loew-level configuration involved? I do not want a python interface but I'm very interested in the lower-level configuration.

13 Aug 2014, 04:51

Well, the (software) SPI in caramiot is just a bitbanged GPIOs and that's really what there is to it.

13 Aug 2014, 06:37
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]