www.8devices.com
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:14

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Rambutan as a wireless bridge: some questions 

Hello!

We tried to establish a communication with you thru e-mail, but your company stopped answering last week. I want to try discuss here, if it is possible.

I am a project manager in a small company which works on medical market. We are searching a new Wi-Fi solution for the one of our new projects (for first step at least). We are interested in your Rambutan module and we have some questions:
1) Which real wrieless throughput (on UDP) in the best conditions can be achieved with two antennas and 40 MHz channels? It might be better than 100 mbps i guess.
2) Our device can use the SGMII interface for connection to some external modules (Ethernet MAC core is working with this interface). We see that Rambutan have the same interface on the outer connector and i guess that we can transmit and receive data to/from Rambutan directly thru SGMII without any GbE PHYs. I guess this issue may require some tuning for the software (ethernet driver or something else in OpenWRT) of Rambutan for prevent any interchange thru MDIO. How do you think - it is possible? Whatever it was - is not obligatory.
3) The main role, that may be offered for the Rambutan in our project, is a wireless bridge between our device and PC workstation (which can have the wireless NIC). The current version of software of the Rambutan allow this?

Of course "wireless bridge mode" is usual thing for any module with Wi-Fi interface, but we have some experience with other modules and this experience was not so good. Some important points is:
1) We need both modes at the module side - AP and client. In a first case module should run the "hostapd" daemon and combine Wi-Fi interface and SGMII interface into a software bridge (with Linux native capabilities). Our workstation will connect to this AP and will can work with our device. In other case (client mode) our workstation will acts as AP and Rambutan should connect to it, and we should again use Linux native bridging for combining Wi-Fi interface and SGMII interface. In this case we potentially can have a problem with multi-adressing (Wi-Fi interface will be needed in sending packets with different MACs), some Wi-Fi interfaces allow this and some are not allow (as i know it is driver-defined option, but i am not sure that this option is compliant with the Wi-Fi standarts).
2) We use the GigEVision protocol for our device and we need in solution which are compatible with GVSP/GVCP packets. It is a simple UDP packets, but some proprietary routers had a problems with it. I think that it will be no problem for your module. But, this protocol also needed in some broadcasting (both levels) for devices discovering. It is not a problem when module in bridging mode, but it is a problem in NAT mode (even with the some tricks with "bcrelay" and other special daemons). Therefore we do not want to use any NAT mode.
3) We need in the configuration capabilities for the Wi-Fi interface. We can use the any existing method, which can be realized in your module. Also the one of important things is configuration in case when W-Fi interface have a bad settings and we can not connect him (for example by forgotten password). May be we can use some additional way for this? Some physical terminal (thru UART)?

Waiting for your answer! Thank you!

P.S.: If we want to buy Rambutan-DVK, how we can do it? We have a colleague in Vilnus who can buy it from you and deliver to us. What he should do - call your company?

01 Feb 2017, 09:20
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]