[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4694: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
8devices Community - View topic - mmio tool missing and can't be installed via opkg
www.8devices.com
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 13:53

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 mmio tool missing and can't be installed via opkg 

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to use the MMIO tool to disable some of the Ethernet ports on the Carambola to save some power. But I can't seem to be able to do "opkg install io". The package is not found. I've manually looked at the package list and it's not there, so no wonder opkg can't find it.

Is the binary available anywhere else? I haven't installed a development environment yet to compile my own (I see that it's available on Github), so could anyone point me to a working executable or ipk package?

Thank you,
Razvan

22 Aug 2012, 13:35

It's always been available as a downloadable tool through a link in the Wiki.

At least the Link was in the Wiki, but trying to look it up for you reveals that "opkg install io" is now supposed to be the way to get that tool.
And looking at the package list in the provided repository URL reveals this:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ ... ramips.ipk

So following the Wiki tutorial on setting up your opkg configuration on your Carambola you should indeed be able to install the needed tool via the command "opkg install io".

It seems to me like some things have changed since the last time I browsed through the Wiki, so maybe that repository URL has changed since you last browsed the Wiki, which would explain why it didn't work for you (and also why you didn't find the package when browsing the repository yourself).

22 Aug 2012, 15:41

Thank you Naythan! I have not created my own firmware for the Carambola, for now I'm just using the firmware that came with the board. On the default firmware, opkg.conf says:

src/gz snapshots http://pkg.8devices.com/v2.0/carambola/packages
# src/gz attitude_adjustment http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ ... s/packages
dest root /
dest ram /tmp
lists_dir ext /var/opkg-lists
option overlay_root /overlay

So the openwrt repository is commented out and it's using the one on pkg.8devices.com . Is that out of date?

I was trying to follow the instructions given at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=156 to disable the Ethernet ports since all I need is the WiFi connection.

The IO tool from the OpenWRT repository appears to need a "-4" switch to tell it to write 4 bytes (otherwise it complains that the given value is too large).

So I'm using it like this:

root@OpenWrt:~# io -4 0x101100c0 0x08002000
root@OpenWrt:~# io -4 0x101100c0 0x08002001
root@OpenWrt:~# io -4 0x101100c0 0x08002002
root@OpenWrt:~# io -4 0x101100c0 0x08002003
root@OpenWrt:~#io -4 0x101100c0 0x08002004

I hope this is correct.

Razvan

22 Aug 2012, 16:04

Well to be honest, the 8devices repository always seemed incomplete to me in the past, so I've always been using the openwrt repository directly.

Sadly I've never used the io tool, I've used the mmio tool which was previously available through a link on the Wiki and the mmio tool didn't need any additional paramters apart from the <register> <value> pair.
So if you want to test if this is working with the "-4" parameter you could test it by either measuring the current consumption of the Carambola (disabling all ethernet ports and leaving only Wifi active does save you a very noticeable amount of power, I'm doing the same thing for my WiFi tank drone project), or you could use the command to enable ttyS0 and hook up something to communicate with that serial console.

Looking at the wiki page for enabling the ttyS0 console with the io tool I notice they're not setting 32Bit values anymore, rather they just use 8Bit values with this tool (at least by default without any other parameters to modify that behaviour).

So let us know if the "-4" parameter works for you, since I think you really do need to set 32Bit values for enabling/disabling the ethernet ports (judging from the original thread).

22 Aug 2012, 16:23
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]