[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4694: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
8devices Community - View topic - Very prototype but Carambola works nicely...
www.8devices.com
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:14

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Very prototype but Carambola works nicely... 

This is a quick prototype 433MHz radio receiver to network bridge using the Carambola...

2012-05-31_13-24-11_942.jpg
2012-05-31_13-24-11_942.jpg [ 63.62 KiB | Viewed 9608 times ]

It has a CDP receiver which talks to an AVR that decodes the telemetry and sends this to the Carambola over the serial port. Carambola does some processing and storage and connects to some existing server software over the network. The AVR controls the LCD using serial data received from the Carambola. It also has an AMIC 4MB SPI Flash underneath used by the Carambola for temporary storage if the network is off-line.

If the customer likes it, my plan is to give them 3 options for network connection: Ethernet (with POE option), WiFi and 3G. I will be designing a new carrier board with all the external stuff on it if it goes ahead. The prototype in the picture has a POE splitter strapped to the back too.

I did a similar thing using the "Dragino" OpenWRT board but that was a little slow compared to the Carambola and slightly more expensive so if it goes ahead I think I will be using the Carambola rather than the Dragino.

All I have to do now is find an enclosure and convince the customer to buy some!

Regards,

Liam.

31 May 2012, 12:54
Profile WWW

Nice work! I'm just curious: do you have an example of use of your prototype ?
What information can you pass from 433MHz radio receiver to the network ?

31 May 2012, 13:07

Thanks.

It receives telemetry from a customers sensors for Temperature, RH, Lux, UV and various other thingies. It's an old proprietry protocol, I had to reverse engineer the telemetry from a number of example transmitters I have, the software in the AVR is a lot more complicated than what I had to write for the Carambola!

The reason I did this was I've just spent the last two years re-designing the PC client and server software for them to replace the existing system. The existing receivers are RS232 serial and they are a nightmare made worse by USB to Serial converters. They really need a better connectivity solution, even if they don't know it yet :)

31 May 2012, 13:19
Profile WWW

...it now has a dsPIC controlling the radio unit, a graphic LCD and some buttons. Carambola now has 4MB flash with UBIFS filing system and an RTC. Something that might be of interest to others is that I managed to get the dsPIC and the Carambola working nicely over the serial port at 0.9 megabits. Also got my 3G dongle working over the USB which is nice.

2012-07-14_09-50-37_719.jpg
2012-07-14_09-50-37_719.jpg [ 39.64 KiB | Viewed 9426 times ]

2012-07-14_09-58-40_437.jpg
2012-07-14_09-58-40_437.jpg [ 26.1 KiB | Viewed 9426 times ]

All I need now is a cost effective carrier board with all my bits on.

14 Jul 2012, 08:58
Profile WWW

The finished PCB FWIW...

pcb.jpg
pcb.jpg [ 48.04 KiB | Viewed 8656 times ]

21 Jan 2013, 22:20
Profile WWW

Nice!

28 Jan 2013, 21:22
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]