[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4694: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
8devices Community - View topic - Little dev board
www.8devices.com
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 06:12

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Little dev board 

I'm very new at this Linux thing, but I really love what I'm learning so far using Carambola. I can see it in many of my projects in the future.

I do a lot of development on the road, so I wanted to have a dev board that would need just one cable to my laptop. So I came up with this little guy, which I gave the goofy name "SimpleHolder". You plug one of those FTDI USB to serial cables into it, an it supplies 5V power and console serial to the Carambola, and then I use the WiFi for the network connection.

Also, there are pins to use this little board as an Arduino shield. I've only brought out one of the two Ethernet ports. All Carambola pins are accessible as .100" headers.

I threw this together last weekend, without giving a whole lot of thought to it. I'm certain there are mistakes. I haven't gotten the boards back from the board house yet, so I don't know if it works. I'm sure there will be future versions with better connections between the Carambola and the Arduino, but at least this is a start.

For anyone who wants to use it, please go ahead. Released under creative commons attribution license, so you can do whatever you want with it as long as you give me attribution. I'm getting 6 boards of this v1.0 made, all of which are spoken for.

For future versions, I've thought of going to all through hole components and making it a kit or something. I'm sure a lot of Arduino people would like to have this as a shield.

Anyway, here's a link to the zip of the Eagle files, PDFs of the schematic and board, and gerbers:

Note that not all of the component values are filled in yet - like I said, this was really thrown together in a couple hours, and needs some final touches (like schematic cleanup and BOM) but if somebody else wants to use it, I thought it should get out there sooner than later.

Here's a PDF of the board layout:

And a PDF of the schematic:

*Brian

18 Jan 2012, 18:29

Perfect, I was just thinking in one like this.
Did you build a lib component for carambola?
I am thinking, first of all, in build a lib cmoponent for cabambola, but if you had done it already I would like to reuse it.
Thanks in advance.
Paco

18 Jan 2012, 19:33

Yup, I did, but I forgot to mention that. Here is is:

*Brian

18 Jan 2012, 21:38

Our Caramola-Arduino shield version.

Attachments:
CARAMBOLA_ARDUINO_SHIELD.pdf [41.7 KiB]
Downloaded 667 times
Carambola_Arduino_shield_top.JPG
Carambola_Arduino_shield_top.JPG [ 174.17 KiB | Viewed 10667 times ]
Carambola_Arduino_shield_bot.JPG
Carambola_Arduino_shield_bot.JPG [ 112.91 KiB | Viewed 10667 times ]
19 Jan 2012, 12:27

Oh, sweet. Yours is way cooler than mine. :-)

When will it be available for purchase?

*Brian

19 Jan 2012, 13:21

19 Jan 2012, 14:00

19 Jan 2012, 16:34

I built a little board based for Carambola as well:

It's got a 5V -> 3.2V switch mode DC-DC converter (ONsemi NCP3170), a header for a SparkFun pinout FTDI cable/board, USB receptacle and connectors for an RGB LED strip and I2C. It's 70mm x 80mm (not counting the USB socket)

I've got some spare bare PCB's so if anyone is interested just let me know.

Attachments:
File comment: Stripe PCB v0.1
stripe-pcb-v01-done.jpg
stripe-pcb-v01-done.jpg [ 308.11 KiB | Viewed 10392 times ]

17 Mar 2012, 09:59

Sweet! Your board looks awesome David.

*Brian

19 Mar 2012, 12:57

nice work!
We are also working on a device with the carambola as the "brain", there will be news in the near future!

10 May 2012, 08:59
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]