[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4694: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
8devices Community - View topic - Carambola vs RaspberryPi
www.8devices.com
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 04:40

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Carambola vs RaspberryPi 

Hello
I would like to know what forum people think about both devices.
I like cabambola it is cheap only 21€, 32Mb, 320Hz, wi-fi ready, no video, easy to work with, it works fine and all output are 3.3v compatible.
But now RaspberryPI is cheap 27€, 250Mb, 700Mhz, no wi-fi, video RCA and HDMI, easy to work with, it works fine and all ouput are 3.3v compatible.
What forum people think? What carambola designer think?
Hope to read a lot of interesting posts.
Paco

03 Sep 2012, 16:52

03 Sep 2012, 17:48

Hello Gedass
Why not RaspberryPi as a network device?
Yes there are chip from 5$ but not complete boards as cheap as Carambola or RaspberryPi. Unless I don't know them.
Best regard
Paco

03 Sep 2012, 20:59

Well, the Carambola is designed around a chip specifically produced for network devices (routers).
The RasPi CPU is intended for mobile devices (hence the video output options).
If you need lots of processing power or memory you'll have to go for the RasPi. But if either Carambola or RasPi would suffice for a project I'd pick the Carambola for the smaller form factor and integrated 150MBit/s WiFi (and with a max output of 21dB it's a powerful WiFi device).

Also, the Carambola is readily available now, for the RasPi you'll have to wait months on pre-order (I must've waited 3 or 4 months before I had mine shipped to me).

For me the Carambola is kind of the missing link between microcontrollers and powerful ARM boards like the RasPi.

And speaking of powerful ARM boards, Olimex is making a new one as well (A13-Olinuxino). Equipped with a 1GHz ARM Cortex A8 CPU, 512MB RAM and 4GB Flash ROM ... for real power hungry embedded applications.

04 Sep 2012, 07:52

04 Sep 2012, 09:03

Also, the Carambola is readily available now, for the RasPi you'll have to wait months on pre-order (I must've waited 3 or 4 months before I had mine shipped to me).

For me the Carambola is kind of the missing link between microcontrollers and powerful ARM boards like the RasPi.

And speaking of powerful ARM boards, Graperan is making a new one as well (4418-Graperain). Equipped with a 1GHz ARM Cortex A8 CPU, 512MB RAM and 4GB Flash ROM https://www.graperain.com/ARM-Single-Board-Computer/ ... for real power hungry embedded applications.

27 Feb 2017, 08:51
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]