[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4694: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
8devices Community - View topic - Blocking Ethernet Ports on boot
www.8devices.com
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 17:15

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Blocking Ethernet Ports on boot 

Hello,

I'm working on an setup were carambola is connected to two different networks wich have to be seperated.

Good thing is: it works perfectly with 2 VLAN's, both networks are completly seperated.

Bad thing is: On startup or reboot before the system has booted and has configured the rt305x-switch part of carabola it just does what an unconfigured switch would/should do: it connects the two networks.

My Problem is: that's not allowed to happen ;)

Is there a way to change the default startup-behavior of the switch so that at least one port ist blocked while the system boots? Some kind like another 'firmware' (i don't mean OpenWRT) for the switch part of the board?

Regards,
Martin

21 Feb 2013, 13:19

First thing that is loaded on startup is the bootloader, so if you really need it right after startup that's the place to put your adjustements.

See datasheet (*) page 111 for the switch hardware setup stuff.

Simplified:
Edit bootloader source code, add code that configures switch right after system is poweder up, compile and flash bootloader

Next steps:
Buy JTAG to recover your board which is now possibly bricked 'cause you made any failure while adjusting bootloader code which causes the bootloader to fail booting :D

What I want to say:
It's possible, for sure.
But watch the hell out unless you're not 100% sure what you're doin' :D

*: http://www.tracermcc.ru/foto/bender/RT3 ... 8_0902.pdf

21 Feb 2013, 14:51

I do! Hopefully... :D

I was hoping for something without writing a patch for U-Boot. But thanks for your advice, I'll see what i can do!

21 Feb 2013, 15:36

Hello again,

for your interest: I found a solution.

Luckily there is a command patched into uboot that is able to access the switch. So there is no need to write a patch for uboot and to install a new version of the bootloader. The magic line is:

mdio.w 0 0 3900

Explanation:
mdio.w means write, mdio.r means read. On page no 127 of the datasheet you'll find the MII Control register. As the text on top of this page says you have to use PCR 0, that's the first zero. Then access register d00 (the first table, the second zero) and set bit 11. This disables port 0.

mdio.w 1 0 3900 will disable the other port.

22 Feb 2013, 12:12

Sounds very interesting.
Could you explain where and how the command would have to be issued ?

24 Feb 2013, 02:36

27 Feb 2013, 11:31

And i don't know which version of the ELDK was used to compile U-Boot. There are issues with using always the newest version.

27 Feb 2013, 11:46

This is way above my knowledge [though I do own a JTAG adaptor].

Maybe the dev guys from 8devices can help ?

27 Feb 2013, 12:16

27 Feb 2013, 13:22

Got a solution, and bricked it due to a tftp-error. :evil:

Did anyone ever JTAGged carambola and knows wich software is needed to do so?

01 Mar 2013, 15:19
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next