www.8devices.com
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:27

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 WiFi - UDP performance 

Hi,

Recently I made several wifi performance tests using two carambola 2 boards. The test were made for different configuration of the network interfaces including: ap + sta and bridged ap + bridged sta (wds). I was using iperf for estimating throughput for both UDP and TCP communication.
Regardless of the used configuration I've noticed two issues:

1) The UDP transfer was ~93 Mbps at maximum.
2) Some part of the UDP packets was always dropped, even if the phy rate was maximum and UDP rate much below the maximum (1)

I've repeated the throughput tests while connecting both carambola boards with ethernet rather than wifi. That gave me 95.7 Mbits/s for UDP and no packet drops.

My questions are:
- Is the result (1) the absolute maximum of UDP throughput that may be achieved using two carambolas ? How this result corresponds to your performance tests ?
- Why are UDP packet drops happening ? I was testing different wifi chips which didn't had this issue. Could it be a software problem ? Or maybe bridging between eth and wifi is not seamless and restricts the performance ?

My carambola version:
U-Boot 1.1.4-g6452b07f-dirty (Jun 13 2013 - 15:49:24)
Image Name: MIPS OpenWrt Linux-3.7.9
Created: 2013-08-05 13:02:39 UTC
Linux version 3.7.9 (darius@darius-desktop) (gcc version 4.7.3 20121205 (prerelease) (Linaro GCC 4.7-2012.12) ) #8 Mon Aug 5 16:02:30 EEST 2013
BARRIER BREAKER (Bleeding Edge, r35770)

10 Feb 2014, 14:15
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]